In this series, I will be cooking the delectable cover recipes of Bon Appetit magazine with the tantalizing prize of being featured on their blog and/or Facebook page. Wish me luck!
Since receiving my subscription, I've cooked quite a few of BA's cover recipes. Only one so far, December 2011's peppermint meringues, has been recognized in their FB album dedicated to such attempts. Needless to say, I was thrilled but I would love to be featured in the similar blog post on BonAppetit.com.
So going forward, you can expect a cook the cover post on the first of the month. Good. I'm glad we had this talk.
Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, March 2013
I followed the recipe linked above pretty closely, but with the following modifications:
1. I cut the boneless, skinless chicken thighs into 1-inch chunks and left them whole instead of shredding them.
2. In a never ending effort to make things gluten-free and low-carb, I substituted rice noodles for the egg noodles. I threw them in at the end, as rice noodles only take a few minutes to soften up. I was going to use kelp noodles, but I didn't want to trek to yet another grocery store...
3. I also added a few handfuls of spinach after the noodles to add some more color :]
4. Again, because sugar is the enemy, I omitted the tablespoon of palm sugar.
5. I highly recommend giving each bowl a squirt (or four) of Sriracha or the Korean fermented pepper paste, gochujang. Despite the four guajillo chiles in the paste, the soup does not come out that spicy.